CONNECTING A CARING COMMUNITY WITH CAUSES THAT MATTER. IT’S WHY WE FOCUS ON BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS, GROWING SUPPORT AND CHANGING LIVES.
WHO WE ARE
The PCF (Peninsula Community Foundation) began in 1998 as the White Rock-South Surrey Community Foundation. It was established by a group of local business people who wanted to leave a lasting legacy in the Semiahmoo Peninsula community.
Our aim is to make giving easy, efficient and effective. We act as partners and advisors to those who are committed to raising funds, accepting donations and establishing long-term giving plans in the community.
Over the years, we’ve committed $500,000 to the Centre for Active Living and have administered grants totalling close to $1,000,000. All annual administrative expenses are covered by sustaining partner grants.
10 Reasons to Work with Us
10 Reasons to Work with Us
What is a Community Foundation?
Did you know community foundations are among the fastest-growing forms of philanthropy in Canada today? Three unique features differentiate a community foundation – like the PCF – from other forms of organized charities.
As a community foundation, the PCF builds endowments and other funds to provide lasting support for local priorities by accepting a wide variety of gifts and providing donors with a number of charitable options. Contributions can be made in the form of cash, stocks, property and other assets. An individual or family may establish a fund in their name or in the name of a loved one as a memorial. In most cases, gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law.
LOCAL GRANT-MAKING EXPERTISE
LOCAL GRANT-MAKING EXPERTISE
Because community foundations like the PCF support all kinds of charities, they are uniquely positioned to bring people and organizations together, assembling diverse yet connected voices to address local issues and opportunities. A community foundation is sometimes referred to as a “charity of charities”. Simply put, our business is building community.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The PCF (Peninsula Community Foundation) is a tax-exempt public charity created by and for the people of the White Rock and South Surrey communities. We act as partners and advisors to those who are committed to raising funds by accepting donations and establishing long-term giving plans in the community. We’re volunteer-driven, community-focused and locally-based.
We adhere to strict CRA guidelines for annual reporting and issuing of tax receipts. For more information, please refer to our profile on the CRA website. You’ll find access to current and previous years’ reports along with additional information such as a list of directors or trustees.
We have a volunteer Board of Directors who are independent of our administrative staff. The Board members ensure accountability and adherence to our mandate and reporting requirements. They also provide high-level direction and guidance as needed.
What are some of the things you might look at in a community when it comes to deciding what needs attention or assistance?
We’re constantly evaluating the various aspects – along with related activities and programs – that contribute to community well-being and development, including:
- Arts & culture
- Sports & recreation
- Children & youth
- Social Services
We also help contributors learn more about local organizations and programs that are making a difference in those areas.
These are a few of the local community clubs, agencies and organizations that we’ve been proud to support/partner with:
- Centre For Active Living
- Pearce Arch Community Services
- Community Policing
- Semiahmoo House Society
- Semiahmoo Peninsula Marine Rescue Society
- White Rock Players Club
- Pearce Arch News Christmas Fund
There are several ways that we facilitate various forms of giving in the community, including:
- Identifying charitable giving options;
- Sharing knowledge on community priorities (current and future);
- Customizing giving approaches to match personal interests and tax planning;
- Assisting with recommended uses of a gift;
- Offering grant-making expertise and administrative services;
- Helping people create personal legacies through named funds;
- Providing the option to donate anonymously.
We’ve identified and established five service offerings to assist individuals, companies and organizations with their charitable giving and fundraising efforts.
- Raise money to support local initiatives
- Partner with associations and organizations
- Plan and manage fundraising events
- Connect donors to community causes
- Administer endowment, scholarship and legacy funds
You can learn more by going to our Services section.
We want to make giving easy, efficient and effective. Donations can be made using a variety of charitable forms, including:
- Outright gifts (cash, stocks, real estate or other assets)
- Appreciated securities (helps eliminate capital gains tax)
- Bequests (designate a portion of an estate)
- Life insurance (receive a portion or all proceeds from a policy)
- Charitable remainder trust (pays a beneficiary for life then assets are transferred)
In most cases, gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law.
Currently, we offer five fund options to individuals, families, agencies, schools, service groups, businesses, organizations and non-profits.
- Donor-advised funds – involves donors and the use of their gifts.
- Legacy endowment funds – establishes and manages endowments for local charities.
- Community funds – set up to meet the ever-changing needs of the community.
- Field of interest funds – addresses needs in a specific area or part of the community.
- Designated funds – directs gifts to specific charities or purposes.